Thursday, December 11, 2014

The Operation Christmas Child Experience

Brenda Eaton:
I first learned about OCC at WBC when our boys were young. We packed a couple of boxes at home and brought them to church for collection Sunday. What a great idea for sharing during the Christmas season and for bringing joy and good news to children and their families. It has been exciting to see this ministry expand at WBC with fundraisers and packing parties, but also the opportunity to continue packing personal boxes at home. It brings me much joy to see women leading this ministry, using their gifts, driven by a passion to serve their LORD. I’m so thankful for a great team this year who spent many hours cooking, buying, organizing, serving, and delivering. A special thanks to Krystle Wainscott, Stephanie Panning, Jeannette Henning, Lori Blevins, and Mariann Brezeale for their leadership, and to all the volunteers and participants who carried Christ’s love to the world with 256 shoeboxes this year!


Krystle Wainscott, OCC Breakfast Fundraiser Coordinator:
I love to cook! When I was asked by Brenda if I would like to facilitate a portion of the OCC ministry, I knew the breakfast fundraiser was where I could lead! I have been blessed through this ministry by meeting many people; those who volunteer to make breakfast, those who have helped serve breakfast, and the hungry congregation who have so generously donated! We belong to a giving church, and I am glad to be a part so we can give Christmas gifts to children around the world!


Lori Blevins, OCC Collection Sunday Coordinator:
It’s good to be back involved after taking a few years off. It’s a different, but wonderful experience working with a team. The other ladies on the team are such hard workers and fun to be with. It was a blessing to get to know others that I might not have known well otherwise.


Dot Hightower, past OCC coordinator who brought new vision with a packing party to WBC:
I have always enjoyed packing boxes for OCC because it is a fun and tangible way to carry Christ’s love around the world. I started out by sending two boxes a year. Now that I have young children, OCC is even more important to me because it is an opportunity for my family to serve the Lord together. This year, my two-year-old and six-year-old helped me write letters, decorate boxes, and buy gifts during the month of October. Then we spent a whole Saturday at home packing all the boxes and praying for the recipients. Our goal is to send 20 boxes each year. Sometimes it’s fewer, and sometimes it’s more, but the important thing is that we are helping to share Christ with all those kids and their families.


Alison and Gary Fourtner, participants at OCC Packing Party:This was our third year to do Operation Christmas Child, and we thoroughly enjoy it because it’s the perfect activity to get our 3 year old involved in! She loves picking out toys for the boys and girls then coloring the pages to send them. We want her to grow up wanting to help other people, so OCC is a great way to introduce her to doing that. It’s a fun family activity!


Mariann Brezeale, co-coordinator for OCC Collection Sunday:
It humbles you to know such a small box of items can bring so much to a child’s life. Knowing we are sending the knowledge of Jesus, our prayers, and a shoebox of joy makes me feel blessed to have been a part of this ministry.


Stephanie Panning and Jeannette Henning, OCC Packing Party Coordinators:
We have been involved with Operation Christmas Child for four years now. The first year we attended a packing party, the second as helpers and the last two as Packing Party Coordinators. We love doing this ministry because we want to give as many children as possible the opportunity to be blessed with learning about Our Savior, Jesus Christ. Also, knowing that the gifts we send will make a difference in a child’s life and give them happiness warms our hearts. God has blessed us this year with a multitude of donors who gave generously with providing necessary items for packing and also a great group of people who volunteered with their time. God has pressed on my heart the power of prayer. He gave me, Stephanie, strength and confidence this past packing party to pray publicly with others. I found the more I did it the more comfortable I became praying with others. This ministry has given us the chance to instill in our children and grandchildren the gift of giving as well as watching them gain a servant’s heart for Our Savior Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment