Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Honduras

by Sheila Zimmerman


My hope is that the Lord was glorified and that children and adults would know of His great love. But, as in every mission trip, in addition to giving of our time and resources, we end up “receiving blessings” as well.

I learned that actions and time are gifts of great importance. People want to know that you care and that they are more than just a project. Even if they couldn’t understand my words, they could understand my actions in spending time with them and in revisiting them the next day. In Honduras, we were encouraged to do 4 visits in the span of 2-3 hrs - not to try to “hit every house on the block.” I found this to be quite difficult with the language barrier. And also, given the fact that the Hondurans are reserved (at least they were with me!) coupled with my being reserved, made for uncomfortable moments. But the blessings I received in spite of my discomfort and inability to speak were friendship and smiles.

I was able to teach a few ladies (some young teens) a hand sewing project. I knew from previous trips that in addition to a small check they receive from the government, some families have to live on only what they can grow/raise for themselves. I was hoping to bring a hand-project that could be done without many resources (e.g. sewing machine) that could be used to supplement their income. I brought materials and simple patterns to make pin cushions and stars. I was surprised to learn they didn’t even have pins to put in a pincushion, and didn’t have scissors to cut scraps! I was able to give some scissors and pins away, but didn’t have enough. So I also learned: next time, go with more supplies! Also, learn more Spanish. “Como eso” only goes so far!

I’ve included a translation of a note I received from one teen, Maria de Santos. I hope it gives you a feeling of what I encountered and left behind. May the Lord bless you for your part in reaching others, like Maria.

"Dear Miss Sheila, I am very happy with the Bible you gave me. I pray that God will take care of you always. Pray for me so I can continue to grow in the church and in the study that I am taking. I feel very happy and at the same time sad that for 3 days we were together. I hope that you will come again next year so that we can be together. I will be waiting for you with open arms. I love you very much. Bye bye. God loves you and me." - Maria de Santos

No comments:

Post a Comment