Tuesday, October 5, 2010

God Sais it Best by Rhonda Miller

As we think about becoming mature disciples and our theme of this issue of ignite it is clear that if we want to become mature we need to know how to love others well, and if we want to know how to love others we must first consider God word. It easy to find all kinds of advice and input on how to love others but all of this knowledge falls short if it is not based on the Bible. Listen to these words from Rhonda Miller as she shares her story of being directed to the Bible through the Love and Respect Marriage Conference for guidance on how to love her husband Terry.

Throughout much of my adult life, I thought that men and women were really very much alike, so when John Gray’s book, “Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus” arrived on the scene, I was excited to read it. I knew from the title that I must have a lot to learn. According to the book, the “Mars man” is non-compassionate, whereas the “Venus woman” likes to demonstrate feelings and gain sympathy. While it was very entertaining, I had one huge problem with it: I was from Mars and my husband was from Venus!!
This book was the New York Times number 1 best-seller of the last decade and it didn’t work for us at all. While I love gaining wisdom about marriage relationships, I gave up any further reading on the subject because it was really man’s interpretation of how a husband and wife should relate and it didn’t apply to us at all.
Immediately after viewing the “Love and Respect” video tapes for the second time, I had an “aha” moment! God’s Word tells us that men have the need for respect and women have the need for love as their deepest need. I now realize that even though my husband has the compassionate loving heart of a “Venus”, he needs respect because that is the way God designed him and that won’t ever change.
It’s no surprise that even Dr. Dobson is impressed by Dr. Eggerich’s book. Many “relationship experts” have totally missed the real heart of a man and a woman. God told us what we need as husbands and wives, we just have to be obedient to His Word and put Him first in our marriage relationship. He made us this way with a purpose and He said it best!

No comments:

Post a Comment